20/20 Mission Vision Sermon Series
Sundays, February 2 – March 1, 2020 |Dr. Michael Lewis, Lead Pastor
As we enter the new year of 2020, it is important that we embrace a 20/20 spiritual vision for the future of Roswell Street Baptist Church. If you have an eye exam and are told you have 20/20 vision, it means that you have clarity and sharpness of vision. As followers of Jesus, it’s important that we see spiritually with clarity and sharpness the Mission and Vision that Jesus has for us as His church. His vision is found in His Words of the Great Commission (Matthew 28: 18 – 20) and the Great Commandment (Matthew 22: 35 – 40). Go make disciples of all nations. In the book of Acts chapter 1, verse 8, the Living Victorious Jesus gave us a strategy for his mission – But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be?My witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth. 20/20 Spiritual Vision is experienced as we see what the Living Jesus sees and we do what He has commanded us to do. Jesus commissions us as His followers to Make Disciples of ALL NATIONS, which begins with our near ones in our neighborhoods and extends nationally to the international nations of the world. This sermon series will magnify Jesus as our Risen Lord and Savior who calls us to Love God, Love People, and Lead others to do the Same. We as His disciples are called to be a missional community as His church and to live on mission each day wherever we may be to be witnesses of His love. During this five week emphasis, we as the church at Roswell Street will celebrate Jesus’ mission for His church to be witnesses of His Light, Life and Love from here to the ends of the earth. This series will culminate with the church celebrating an Acts 1:8 Missions Weekend – February 28 – March 1st . and receiving an Acts 1:8 Missions offering to support our strategic missions partners.
Sunday, February 2, 2020 @ 10:30am – Jesus’ Mission is Our Mission! (Acts 1:8; 2:1-47)
- Bible Reading for the Week – Acts 1-2
- Jesus’ Mission is the Mission of the Church
- How are we doing with His Mission?
20/20 VISION – The Church as a Missional Community with Members who live on Mission
- Embrace the Strategic Mandate of Jesus – 1:8
- Empowered by the Spirit to carry out the Strategic Mission of Jesus – 2:1-41
- Engaging on Mission as a Community – 2:42-27
- Recent Updates by International Mission Board – numbers of believers, numbers of unengaged people groups
- Acts 2 Journey Highlights
- Matthew 28:18-20 – When the Heart of Jesus shapes the Mission of the Church.
- Acts 1:8 – Jesus in His love told us where to start – geographically, relationally (Matthew 22:35-41)
Sunday, February 9, 2020 @ 10:30am – Jesus’ Mission is a Movement (Acts 3-9)
20/20 VISION – When Jesus’ Mission becomes a Movement
- Boldly proclaims Jesus as the Reason of the Hope – chapters 3, 4, 7
- Unstoppable movement – chapter 5
- Disciples who serve – chapter 6
- Scatters to Share the Gospel – chapter 8
Experiences Startling Conversions – chapter 9:31 – what a missional community is described as may we become like what is described in this text as a church.
- Bible Reading for the Week – Acts 3-9
- Church is not a building to look at, a place to sit but a movement to join
- Ordinary people filled with the Spirit to do extraordinary things.
Sunday, February 16, 2020 @ 10:30am – Jesus’ Mission Forms Missional Communities (Acts 13:1-4)
20/20 VISION – Jesus’ Mission creates Missional Communities
- Chapter 10 – 11 – Cornelius converted / Cultural Barriers crossed
- Chapter 12 – Political Powers removed
- Chapter 13 – FOCUS passage – Church at Antioch – Listening, Yeilding, Obeying a prayerful desire of RS to become
- Acts 14:21-28 – Church planting movement – IMAGINE
- Chapter 16 – Paul – Timothy discipleship model / Household salvation
- Introduce “10:2 prayer focus” based on Luke 10:2
- Bible Reading for the Week – Acts 10-16
Sunday, February 23, 2020 @ 10:30am – Jesus’ Mission Requires Partners (Acts 19:10)
20/20 VISION Jesus’ Mission is accomplished through relationships
- Acts 17 – the uniqueness of preaching in Athens (we are not in Jerusalem context anymore)
- 19:10 Vision – Imagine this occurring / chapter 19 – being known in hell – Paul we know
- Chapter 20 – Gospel Faithfulness modeled by Paul
- Chapters 21 – 27 – Clarity and Sharpness of Mission compels Paul through trails, persecutions, shipwrecks, and tribulation with triumph.
- Chapter 28 – Jesus’ Mission is Unstoppable – not just a local church endeavor – but kingdom expansions
- Bible Reading for the Week – Acts 17 ? 28
- Cast Vision for strategic mission partners coming/ promotion of missions fair
Sunday, March 1, 2020 @ 10:30am – Jesus’ Mission is our Compelling 20/20 Vision (Romans 10:14-15)
1 Peter 3:15 When the Hope of Jesus is imparted through the Church
- Questions the Church must answer with our hearts not our heads – Romans 10:11-15
- Focus could be given to 2 Corinthians 5:10-21