“SHINE the Light & Love of Christmas“
Christmas is the time of year that we celebrate that God sent LIGHT into the Word through His Son – Jesus Christ – John 1:1-18; John 1:5 – That light SHINES in the darkness, yet the darkness did not overcome it. John 1:14 – The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth. John?1:18 – No one has ever seen God. The One and Only Son ? the One who is at the Father?s side ? He has revealed Him.
KEY TEXT FOR SERIES – Matthew 5: 16 – ?In the same way, let your light SHINE before?others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father?who is?in heaven.?
- As members of Roswell Street Baptist Church, we are called to be SALT & LIGHT by Jesus to the City, Let?s consider Creative Ways we can SHINE His Light and Love this Christmas. When people are discouraged, depressed, discouraged, despondent during this Holiday season when financial pressures are at all time high? when relationship fractures are highlighted? when festive schedules can become stressful? Let?s be who Jesus say we are LIGHT that is intended to SHINE dispelling darkness? giving hope, help and healing to lonely and hurting people in our daily traffic patterns of life.
- Big Idea – Mobilize the church gathered as the Light of the world to be Light scattered throughout our community – by highlighting practical missional opportunities
?Shine your light before others? By?
Sunday, December 1, 2019 @ 10:30am
- S – SHARING with someone
- Giving First / Share Concern and a Prayer
- acts of kindness – provide a listing..
- Have members listen to the Lord for the person ? then select act and do it
1 Corinthians 4 – What do you have that you have not received? – cultivate gratitude for freely receiving. Matthew 10:8 – ?Freely Give.” Highlight text – Acts 20:35 – ?It is more blessed to give than to receive. Notice how Jesus practiced Giving First.
Sunday, December 8, 2019 @ 10:30am
- H – Being HOSPITABLE to someone
- Give a Reason for the Hope within you. Hear the Needs being expressed. The skill of Listening means ‘asking the right questions’
- Give words that inspire Hope to someone
- Do an action that inspires Hope
- Open your home – as simple as enjoying a cup of coffee or hosting a meal
- Invite someone to coffee
Use – ideas from book – Meals with Jesus – highlight how Jesus used meals for a purpose.?Luke 2 – hospitality by inn – 200-300 turned away at Must ministry… 78 beds.
Sunday, December 15, 2019 @ 10:30am
- I – INSPIRING someone/ ILLUMINATE / INSPIRE / IMAGINE.
- Highlight story of the Demon Possessed man delivered by Jesus – ?Go home and tell your family what Great things I have done for you.”
- Share your story of Hope – Inspire others by God?s gracious work in your life – testimony of provision, answer prayer
Sunday, December 22, 2019 @ 10:30am
- N- NOTICING someone – / NURTURE – / NEIGHBOR Notice the small things -?See People the Way God Sees them, so that you can love them the way God loves them.
- Use the powers of observation
- Jesus? eyes gave attention to others – WWJD – ?walk as Jesus walked? 1 John 2
- See the need and meet the need – many times it has nothing to do with money (sometimes it does appropriately ) but everything to do with a real relational need
Sunday, December 24, 2019 @ 10:30am
- E – ENCOURAGING someone / ENGAGE / ENJOY / Empathy – cultivate a life of compassion.
- Speak words that will edify – Ephesians 4:29.
- Give sentence starters to meet relational need of – comfort, support, security. Jesus speaking to the Leper. Jesus speaking from the cross.