“TEXT PARENTING” Sermon Series | January 2020
Many of us as parents feel like we struggle to keep pace with the rapidly changing world in which we are trying to raise children: .
- expressing concern about how safe the world today is for our children.
- sensing that childhood is shrinking and that children are growing up too fast in today?s cultural demands.
- struggling on a number of fronts to meet the competing demands of work and parenting.
- under pressure to not fail our children.
- seeking to find the time to spend with our children in meaningful ways.
- feeling isolated and alone, cut off from the important support of families and friends.
These challenges and pressures facing parents today are significant and the cause of much concern and, at times, overwhelming stress. Yet ? as a parent – You are not alone, for the majority of parents are expressing similar challenges. Wouldn?t it be helpful in our fast-paced lives to receive a TEXT on our phones that would give us wisdom and even words to express to our children at the right time? As we open God?s living Word to the Book of Proverbs, we discover TEXTS from heaven providing timeless insight to be a parent filled with wisdom. The premise for the book of Proverbs is a Father King speaking to his son-prince of how to live successfully by practicing the Presence of God with a proper reverence of the Lord.
Join Pastor Michael and the church family of many generations and cultures at Roswell Street as we explore TEXT PARENTING from the Book of Proverbs throughout the month of January 2020. The Movement to Equipping, Encouraging and Empowering Parents will include – ? 4 -5 part Sermon Series
- Reading of the Book of Proverbs in the Month of January – There are 31 days in the month and 31 chapters of Proverbs. Read a Proverb a day seeking wisdom and insight from above on how to live and parent well.
- Intentional Parenting Class – ?10 Ways to Be an Exceptional Parent in a Quick Fix World ? for 6 weeks beginning Wednesday, January 8th at 6: 30 P.M. led by Dr. Robin & Claire Redick
- Recommendation of INTIMATE FAMILY MOMENTS book for families to experience fun devotional times together – written by Dr. David & Teresa Ferguson.
Key Text for Series – Proverbs 22:6 – ?Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.?
Equipping & encouraging Spirit-empowered parents who make disciples of their children who love God, love People and lead others to do the same
- Fact – Our children will be missionaries who we will send to a world that we may never see! Parenting is a missional calling.
- Imagine a world of Parents who are disciples of Jesus (loving God, living His Word, loving people, living His mission) who lead their children to be disciples who make disciples. What kind of world might this be? How might this address the many downstream challenges of our culture?
Sunday, December 29, 2020 @ 10:30am | Proverbs 22:6 TEXT PARENTING Removes Aloneness
- Train up a Child by First Knowing Your Child (see 28:23)
- Train up a Child by Being Known by Your Child
- Train up a Child by Being Caringly Involved in their Lives.
Goal of Parenting according to God?s perspective in His Word is to remove aloneness from a child?s life. Bad things happen when a child is alone, but good things happen when a child?s aloneness is removed. Aloneness is removed by the practice of 3 Hebrew words – yada, sod, sakan – Knowing, Being Known (revealing) and caring involvement. Deut. 6:5 ff – shares ?the way? that a child should go – spiritual vibrancy begins in the parents heart. / If you never realized your need for God, being a parent will drive you to your knees. – Genesis – Enoch walked with God after his first son was born. / Moses? parents are example – Hebrews 11
Relational Care early in a child?s life leads to Relational Care throughout all of life. – resulting in removing aloneness and creating safe intimate relationships for life.
Sunday, January 5, 2020? @ 10:30am | Proverbs 1-5 TEXT PARENTING begins at the Right Place
- starts with the end in mind 1:1-4
- has healthy outcomes 1:8-33
- is worth its weight in gold – chapter 2
- starts with the heart – chapter 3:5,6, 9-10 key texts
- leads by example – chapter 4:23 key text
- warns of sexual sin & promotes vibrant marriages – chapter 5
MAIN THOUGHT – the Right Place to begin parenting is by Practicing the Presence of God with a proper reverence of the Lord with a yielded, grateful, and listening heart. Parents who practice the Lord?s Presence (Deut. 6:5-12) can impart their faith to their children to learn to practice the Lord?s Presence. – Ephesians 2: 20 – Christ is our Cornerstone of our faith & family relationships. Use – table talk activity from EHM
Sunday, January 12, 2020 @ 10:30am | Proverbs 6-12 TEXT PARENTING Gives First
- imparts wise advise to escape financial, relational & sexual snares – chapter 6
- Leading one?s heart – not following it – chapter 7
- cultivates a listening heart & teachable spirit – chapter 8
- contrasts wisdom with foolishness – chapter 9 / Vs. 9-10 key texts
- Practices life-giving words and love that forgives – chapter 10:12b key text
- Gives freely – giving first principle – chapter 11:24-25 key texts / Does not speak everything one knows – key texts 11:12,13
- Speaks Words that edify – key text 12:18, 19, 25 (perfect love saying) 12:4 – Wife,
Parents are to practice a life of ?giving first? to their children (wisdom, guidance, patience, words that edify, forgiveness)- support, comfort, attention, approval, security. – Living out Jesus? teaching that ?It is more blessed to give than to receive? and Luke 6:38. Being a Disciples who gives first to your children results in disciples being made who give first.
Sunday, January 19, 2020 @ 10:30am | Proverbs 13-19 TEXT PARENTING Practices the Power of Vulnerability
Leaves a Legacy – 13:22 rewarding teachable children – 13:1 Seeks to meet the needs of children – 13:12,19 Making & Keeping promises to your children – vacations, life events
- Cultivates healthy relationships for child – 13:20
- Embraced by a wise Mother – 14:1 warns of harmful relationships; 14:7 does not take the road most traveled by culture; 14:12 Understands a child?s emotional needs; 14:13,30 maintains a good temperament in the home; 14:17,29 practices generosity to the poor; 14:21,31 Practice godliness promoting security jn the home
- Chapter 15 – Practices Healthy Communication – Gives Gentle Responses in heated moments – 15:1,18,23,28; practices prayer 15: 8,29 / practices joy 15: 13, 15,30 (attention with delight) / filled with contentment – 15: 16, 17 / led by a loving father – 15: 20 / 15: 33 – humility is vulnerability
- Chapter 16 – teaches dependence on the Lord 16: 3, 9 / pursues peace – 16: 7 / warns of self-reliance and pride – 16: 18 / respects the elderly 16: 31 / controls emotions 16: 32
- Chapter 17 – led by Fathers who practice love and truth 17: 6 / 17: 9 – practices forgiveness/ 17: 14 – pursues peace / 17: 17 identifies true friends / 17: 22 – cultivates joy-filled living / 17: 27 – emphasizes not speaking everything one thinks or knows
- Chapter 18 – removes aloneness 18: 1 / points to God?s name for security – 18: 10/ vulnerability and humility 18:12/ practices listening first 18: 13, 15 / Speaks words of life – 18: 21 / Celebrates Marriage – 18: 22/ Practices Intimacy – 18: 24
- Chapter 19 – Lives and acts with Knowledge – 19: 2, 8, 11, 13 / importance of fathers & mothers- vs14 / practices kindness to the poor – vs. 17/ practices loving disciple early vs. 18/ develops a listening heart with a teachable spirit vs. 27/
Key thought – Parenting must practice vulnerability, which is described throughout Proverbs as humility. A parent being humble in their relationships with the Lord, vulnerable in marriage leads to being vulnerable with the children. One thing that causes children in adolescence to adulthood to reject teachings of Scripture is ?cultural Christianity? which is not authentic and real. No parent is perfect, but all parents can be real and vulnerable with their children. It?s appropriate for a parent to express an apology to a child and to admit needs to involve a child in a discipleship pathway. Jesus is a model of this relational leadership as he patiently discipled His followers.
Sunday, January 26, 2020 @ 10:30am | Proverbs 20 – 31 TEXT PARENTING promotes Relational Health
- Chapter 20 – gives wisdom in relation to alcoholic beverages – Vs. 1 / asks questions to lead right conclusions Vs. 5 / Lives with wisdom Vs. 7/ Gives approval Vs. 11/ Vs. 24 – acknowledges God?s providence / involves introspection Vs. 27
- Chapter 21 – gives appropriate warning of hurtful relationships in marriage – Vs. 9, 19, / imparts wisdom on guarding speech Vs. 23/ practices generosity and rejects greed Vs. 25, 26/ VS. 28 emphasis on listening/
- Chapter 22 – emphasizes character of good name over wealth/ Vs. 4 – emphasizes a life of humility/ begins early Vs. 6 / Vs. 17 – 19 – cultivates a listening heart / warns of unhealthy – toxic relationships Vs. 24,25 /
- Chapter 23 – warns about materialism Vs. 4, 5 / demonstrates appropriate discipline vs. 13 – 14 / expresses joy to a wise child – vs.15-16, 24- 25/ warns of harmful people – vs. 17 – 18/ counsels to lead your heart not follow your heart – vs. 19-21/ Encourages to not compromise the truth Vs. 23/ Warns of sexual immorality and pornography Vs. 26 – 28/ warns of the dangerous effects of alcohol – Vs. 29 – 35 (see 20:1)
- Chapter 24 – Constructs / builds a family Vs. 3,4/ demonstrates compassion for the lost Vs. 11/ values the sweetness of wisdom Vs. 13 – 14 / counsels children to fall forward Vs. 16 / teach contentment not envy Vs. 19 – 20/ warns of being idle and lazy Vs. 30 – 34
- Chapter 25 – teaches self-awareness Vs. 6, 7/ speaks right words at right timing Vs. 11 – 12 / contentment Vs. 16 / dealing with conflict with enemy Vs. 21 – 22/ Vs. 28
- Controls temper
- Chapter 26 – spots irrelevant religion & relationships without repentance Vs. 11,12 / teaches a life of seriousness Vs. 18-19/
- Chapter 27 – teaches the brevity of life Vs 1, 17 / encourages good friendships Vs. 6/ seeks a radiant testimony of hope Vs. 11 / knows your child Vs. 23 /
- Chapter 28 – create courageous confidence Vs 1 / makes startling comparisons Vs. 6, / teaches proper confession Vs. 13 (practice of 2 Cor. 7: 10) /
- Chapter 29 – disciplines their child Vs. 17 / shares the Word of revelation in the home Vs. 18/ warns of improper fears of others and encourages a life of trust in the Lord Vs. 25
- Chapter 30 – imparts the Purity of the Word – Vs 5,6 / Ministers the Word / Vs. 11 – 14 – warns of a perverse generation /
- Chapter 31 – gives wisdom concerning future spouse and marriage
Key Thought – Parents are to practice relational health in growing spiritual vibrancy with God and with one another. This health is to be promoted as it relates to their children having appropriate boundaries with alcohol, friends, pornography, and cultural pressures of materialism and affluence.